To quote Speaker of the House Brad Wilson, “Well, $19 Billion down, and one to go!”.
State of Utah approves SB1 $2.1 Billion State Higher Education Funds ($3.9M Fed Funds), SB4 $358 Million Business/Economic Dev/Labor Base ($13.3 Mil Fed funds), SB5 $78 Million for Retirement and Ind. Entities ($4M Fed funds), SB6 Infrastructure & General Government $2.6 Billion ($458 Million Fed Funds), SB7 National Guard/Veteran Affairs $200 Million ($99 Mil Federal Funds).
SB1 Fiscal Note: https://le.utah.gov/lfa/fnotes/2020/SB0001.fn.pdf
SB4 Fiscal Note: https://le.utah.gov/lfa/fnotes/2020/SB0004.fn.pdf
SB5 Fiscal Note: https://le.utah.gov/lfa/fnotes/2020/SB0005.fn.pdf
SB6 Fiscal Note: https://le.utah.gov/lfa/fnotes/2020/SB0006.fn.pdf
SB7 Fiscal Note: https://le.utah.gov/lfa/fnotes/2020/SB0007.fn.pdf
URGENT: Dangerous Bill to track and Oppose! HB241- This bill would compel children as young as 5yrs to attend Kindergarten (currently it is not required), and it also requires homeschooling families to receive excuse from the board to ensure that the student attains correct competencies (Lines 99-108 & 131-134).
- Action Items – Contact your legislator! Track the bill so you know where and when it will be in committee and contact ALL members of the committee with your opposition. Will most likely go to the House Education Committee: https://le.utah.gov/asp/interim/Commit.asp?year=2020&com=HSTEDU
Select Bills heard in Committee:
H.J.R. 6 Joint Resolution on the Benefits of Therapy Animals - https://le.utah.gov/~2020/bills/static/HJR006.html
- YES, we all do very much love animals in Utah, however, what is the impact on private business that may be required under the ADA? This bill references how animal and handler are “trained”, but under ADA law a business cannot ask any clarifying question about the animal/handler.
H.C.R. 7 Concurrent Resolution Encouraging Congressional Action on Medicare Drug Prices – https://le.utah.gov/~2020/bills/static/HCR007.html
- Correct that we all hate to pay a huge amount for prescription drugs, but is it the proper role of government to determine “how much a company can charge”?
H.B. 134 Raw Milk Products Amendments (K Coleman) - https://le.utah.gov/~2020/bills/static/HB0134.html
Do we like these lines?
121 (ii) the statement "Raw milk products, no matter how carefully produced, may be
S.B. 77 Electric Energy Storage Tax Credit - https://le.utah.gov/~2020/bills/static/SB0077.html
- Question: Once again, is it the proper role of government to establish “winners and losers”? Now, we all love tax credits, and we believe that Solar is a great way to help the environment, but is it really? - https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/uncategorized/will-solar-power-fault-next-environmental-crisis/
We heard 14 Bills in the House today
- 12 NEW numbered bills
- 16 NEW requested bills
Total Bill Count as of 2.5.20:
- House 268
- Senate 106
- House Concurrent Resolutions (HCR) 9
- House Joint Resolution (HJR) 14
- Senate Concurrent Resolutions (SCR) 5
- Senate Joint Resolutions (SJR) 8
- Senate Resolutions (SR) 0